Beetroot hummus makes for a great everyday snack or addition to a platter with veggie sticks, wholegrain crackers and cheeses.
You can just as easily purchase beetroot hummus from your supermarket. However, it is such a straight forward dish to make.
Further, making it yourself enables you to adjust the flavour — and take credit when you receive compliments!
- 400 g can chickpeas, drained
- 250 g cooked beetroot (either boiled, roasted, steamed or prepacked)
- 1 lemon, juiced (4 tablespoons)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil approx. 45 g
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add additional lemon juice, salt or pepper to taste and achieve desired consistency.
- Serve as is or top with cumin seeds, fresh coriander or mint.
- Serve alongside vegetable sticks, whole grain crackers, toast or falafel.
Tips on cooking beetroot
If you’re relatively new to cooking beetroot and are a little unsure on the best way to achieve tender beetroot suitable for this beetroot hummus recipe, I recommend this blog How To Cook Beets (4 Easy Methods).
Have you given it a try?
I’d love to hear if you’ve made this recipe and what you served it with!
Looking for more beetroot recipes?
I’m always developing recipes and expanding what is available on this site. You may like to try my Barley, Beetroot and Feta Salad. More coming soon.