Brown rice is one of the food characters in the book, The Superheroes on Your Plate, illustrated as a bear.
Below is a recipe to make your own brown rice bear, whether you serve it under an omelette blanket, in a bowl of soup or alongside veggies to create an artwork on your plate or in your lunchbox.
Get creative and create a brown rice bear that is uniquely yours.
Brown Rice Bear Recipe
- fry pan, wooden spoon, cling wrap, scissors
- ¾ cup cooked brown rice*
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger or garlic
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, honey or maple syrup
- 1 nori sheet
- your choice of veggies to create put the finishing touches on your bear and scene
Method – Flavouring Rice
- Heat sesame oil in a fry pan.
- Add ginger or garlic. Fry until slightly brown.
- Add brown rice and immediately, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar. Mix and heat through for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the fry pan from heat and allow the rice to cool completely before making your bear.
Method – Making Your Brown Rice Bear
- Place a square of cling wrap on a clean kitchen bench or table.
- Place a tablespoon of the rice mixture onto the cling wrap and pull up the edges to create a ball with the brown rice. Gently squeeze the ball, twisting the cling wrap to tighten slightly.
- Then gently remove the cling wrap and place ball on plate–this will be the bear’s head.
- Repeat with a teaspoon of mixture to make ears, and then arms, legs and/or body, depending on whether you plan to cover your bear in an omelette blanket or place your bear onto a plate ‘naked’ or submerge your bear into soup.
- Once you have made and positioned bear’s body on a plate or in a bowl of thick soup, use scissors to cut two short strips of the nori sheet for eyes and a small circle or triangle for the nose. Position on bear’s head. You may also cut circles or use beans to create paws or circles of cheese for inside of ears.
- Get creative for a fun time on your plate with brown rice bear.
Share Your Brown Rice Bear
Ask an adult if they can share your brown rice bear creation on Instagram or Facebook #thesuperheroesonyourplate to inspire other kids to make their own brown rice bear and share your unique creative twist to this recipe.