Brown rice is one of the food characters in the book, The Superheroes on Your Plate, illustrated as a bear by the talented Emma Hay of Little Boat Media.
Brown rice was too parched to claim the title of superhero on the plate until he was ready to steam into the challenge. He declares,
‘We are superheroes too when we are eaten whole and not stripped of our nutritious skin. We are always a good companion.’ He winks at the Chickpeas.
Given that brown rice is a bear in The Superheroes on Your Plate, I decided to develop a recipe so that you can make your own brown rice bear. You could serve it under an omelette blanket, in a bowl of soup or alongside veggies to create an artwork on your plate or in your lunchbox.
I have written the recipe so it is something you could make together with kids.
Get creative and create a brown rice bear that is uniquely yours. I’d love to see what you create.
The Superheroes on Your Plate Read Alouds
You may like to read the book together before making the recipe or watch one of the many read alouds on Youtube.
Why Brown Rice?
Brown rice is a character in the book, The Superheroes on Your Plate. It represents grains while also highlighting the nutritious benefit of eating whole grains.
Unlike white rice, brown rice hasn’t been stripped of the husk, bran and germ. Thus, making it higher in fibre, magnesium and other nutrients.
However, some people tolerate white rice better, such as children or those with IBS.
White rice is a fine choice, as the benefit of extra fibre also depends on the total diet. If you prefer white rice, no worries. You can easily make this recipe made with white rice.
Brown Rice Bear Recipe
- fry pan, wooden spoon, cling wrap, scissors
- ¾ cup cooked brown rice*
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger or garlic
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, honey or maple syrup
- 1 nori sheet
- your choice of veggies to create put the finishing touches on your bear and scene
Method – Flavouring Rice
- Heat sesame oil in a fry pan.
- Add ginger or garlic. Fry until slightly brown.
- Add brown rice and immediately, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar. Mix and heat through for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the fry pan from heat and allow the rice to cool completely before making your bear.
Method – Making Your Brown Rice Bear
- Place a square of cling wrap on a clean kitchen bench or table.
- Place a tablespoon of the rice mixture onto the cling wrap and pull up the edges to create a ball with the brown rice. Gently squeeze the ball, twisting the cling wrap to tighten slightly.
- Then gently remove the cling wrap and place ball on plate–this will be the bear’s head.
- Repeat with a teaspoon of mixture to make ears, and then arms, legs and/or body, depending on whether you plan to cover your bear in an omelette blanket or place your bear onto a plate ‘naked’ or submerge your bear into soup.
- Once you have made and positioned bear’s body on a plate or in a bowl of thick soup, use scissors to cut two short strips of the nori sheet for eyes and a small circle or triangle for the nose. Position on bear’s head. You may also cut circles or use beans to create paws or circles of cheese for inside of ears.
- Get creative for a fun time on your plate with brown rice bear.
THE SUPERHEROES ON YOUR PLATE
Every food at the dinner table competes for the title of superhero on your plate.
Which food will claim the title?
Available on most online booksellers.
Share Your Brown Rice Bear
Ask an adult if they can share your creation on Instagram or Facebook #thesuperheroesonyourplate
Your creations will help inspire other kids to make their own brown rice bears and share your unique creative twist to this recipe.