A baked eggplant dish with a Sicilian flair of citrus, pinenuts and capers that you can enjoy as a side dish, over pasta or crumbed chicken for a chunky parmigiana.
Baked Sicilian Eggplant
Ingredients - baked eggplant
- 1 large eggplant roughly chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 2 large ripe tomatoes roughly chopped into 1 cm pieces (or 1 cup cherry tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients - topping
- 2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts roasted, optional
- 1 tablespoon capers
- zest of ½ lemon approx. 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon chives chopped
- Preheat oven to 180oC fan-forced.
- Whisk together the vinegar, oil, tomato paste, honey, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Then mix through the chopped eggplant and tomato, so thoroughly coated.
- Place eggplant on a baking tray and bake for 40 minutes until the eggplant is soft; stir at 10-15-minute intervals.
- Serve as is on baking tray or platter.
- Then sprinkle with the topping ingredients.
- Serve with crusty sourdough and greens
- Serve over pasta of your choice with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
- Try on crumbed chicken breast like you would a parmigiana sauce and top with cheese