Easy bean salad is a simple and fulfilling salad that is based on pantry staples of a few cans of beans and corn.
A salad made with pantry staples
Cans of beans can be a great way to bulk up a salad and give it more substance to provide sustained energy until your next meal.
Thus, I always have a few cans of beans on hand in the pantry.
While I love all beans, a bean mix is great in a salad as it gives a variety of shapes and colours, and different sizes to nibble on as you make your way through the salad.
Cans of bean mix vary in the beans that they include. They may include butter or lima beans, kidney beans, cannellini beans, borlotti, pinto or chickpeas.
However, that doesn’t matter for this recipe. It’s about having a variety of beans, rather than any specific beans in your salad.
Easy Bean Salad
- 400 g can 4 bean mix drained and rinsed
- 400 g can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 400 g can whole kernel sweet corn drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 4 spring onions thinly sliced
- ½ small or ¼ large cucumber diced
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes halved (250 g)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted in non-stick pan (optional)
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic crushed or powdered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Place all salad ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients.
- Mix the dressing into the salad.
How easy is that?
Easy bean salad is so simple and straightforward. And you needn’t follow the recipe exactly.
If you don’t have tomatoes or cucumber, no worries. You could try substituting or adding:
- red onion
I’ll leave it to you to get creative!
Let me know in the comments below if you give the recipe a try or share any modifications you make to it.