Plate up your food and eat away from distractions to savour the sight, smell, taste, sound and feel of eating each and every mouthful.
Savouring the moment
On a holiday in Koh Samui, while I lulled in a pool, I noticed a man sitting alone with his bowl of spaghetti and wine, contently looking out over the ocean.
He takes in the scenery and then a mouthful of spaghetti. Then he gently puts down his fork and spoon. He sits back in his chair and looks out over the ocean while contently chewing.
He then pulls a piece of garnish from the dish and purposefully nibbles it. Before taking another mouthful of spaghetti, he takes a sip of wine and sits back. He is savouring the moment.
The man is clearly savouring every sight, smell, taste, sound and feel of this tranquil dining experience. He is eating mindfully with his full awareness.
How to savour every mouthful
Savouring every mouthful is part of a mindful eating practice, where our full attention is on our eating without distraction or judgement.
You, too, can embrace mindful eating by:
- eating away from distractions, preferably in an environment that is relaxing. Although we can’t all eat at the seaside, stepping out of the office and taking in some nature in a local park, watching some birds or people in a busy street or simply plugging in some music can create a similar effect.
- plating up your food so that you’re fully aware of what you are about to eat and how appealing it is
- enjoying the aroma, taste and sensations of each and every mouthful, and noting how it feels in your body.
I share an experience of mindful eating and savouring every mouthful in my blog, Dining in the Dark: The Sensory Experience of Eating Without Sight.
Want to eat mindfully and savour every mouthful?
To mindfully eat requires quieting our mind and focusing on the sensory experience of the moment without distraction or judgement.
For this reason, I have produced a Guided Body Scan Meditation to help bring your attention to the moment, which you can do before eating.
If you are interested in learning more about mindful eating and my approach to joyful eating, you may enjoy my blogs:
- 4 reasons why you shouldn’t adopt mindful eating for weight loss
- A Joyful Eating Moment
- My philosophy of Joyful Eating
Download the FREE Chapter: Debunk the Diet Myth
Discover the physiological and psychological reasons why diets don’t work, whether for weight loss or a wellness diet that promises ‘optimal health’.
Joyful Eating: How to Break Free of Diets and Make Peace with Your Body